The Rookie Triathlon is a USAT-sanctioned event and includes many benefits for those that participate. Here is the low down of what USAT is, why sanctioning matters, and rules and benefits of being a USAT member.
Who/What is USAT?
USA Triathlon (USAT) is the national governing body for the multi-sport disciplines of triathlon, duathlon, aquathlon, and winter triathlon in the United States. USA Triathlon is a member federation of the U.S. Olympic Committee and the International Triathlon Union.
What sanctioning an event means?
1. Gives athletes peace-of-mind by guaranteeing industry-wide safety standards.
2. Ensures a fair race governed by standardized rules.
3. Provides the Gold Standard of insurance protection for the event, athlete, and venue.
4. Provide ranking points for regional and national rankings, including USAT All-American status.
5. Only sanctioned races provide the opportunity to qualify for National Championships and then qualify for World Championships as a member of Team USA.
6. Results are available for all sanctioned races.
7. Enables new programming, grows the sport, and funds initiatives including youth participation, the Olympic program, and paratriathlon.
Types of Membership
Membership comes with tons of great benefits for members including exclusive discounts and resources for training. Check our Triathlon Gear Shopping list to see if any of these items can be purchased with your USA Triathlon membership discount. You must be a USAT member to participate in a sanctioned event.
If you plan on participating in four or more events in a calendar year then it is best to purchase an annual membership upfront.
An annual membership allows an athlete to compete in USAT-sanctioned races while receiving many benefits which include: a subscription to the quarterly USA Triathlon magazine, be part of the USA Triathlon national ranking system, discounts from USA Triathlon sponsors, and the ability to qualify for Team USA member and compete at ITU World Championship events around the world. An annual membership also includes unlimited one-day licenses for races occurring within the membership period.
A one-day license allows an athlete to compete in a USAT-sanctioned event without purchasing an annual membership. One-day licenses can be purchased at the time of registration or on-site at packet pick up.
USAT has a set of rules that apply to all sanctioned races to provide for the orderly and consistent administration of rules and penalties.
Make sure to know these 11 commonly violated rules before you show up on race day.
There are an extended set of rules that apply for qualifying for national and world events. Read Full USAT Rules.